Welcome!

I am a hobbiest woodworker. I work as an Art Director for a Marketing company in the Phoenix area. I plan to use this website to share my new found love for woodworking as well as to share some of what I do in the design world.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Fine Furniture Build, Shaker Side Table

Shaker Side Table
I started getting into woodworking about 6 months ago. Self taught. I have spent countless hours searching the web and watching videos like – Tommy MacDonald, The Wood Whisperer, and Fine Woodworking.


Anyways. My dad has always been in love with Shaker furniture (wish I had a picture of the dining table he built) so I thought it would be appropriate to build this table as my first attempt at woodworking. This is literally it. Only thing I have build before this was a stand for my Lathe and some little keepsake boxes I gave away for Christmas.

It has been quite a humbling process and look forward to improving. I have had a hard time separating myself from the goal of perfection, errr, close to perfection. I have come to realization that I just need to make saw dust and learn along the way. The point is. The table isn't perfect, but I have learned some things along the way and I will strive to improve upon them on my next project!
Here are a few photos I took the other day. Finally finished!
If you are interesting in seeing some of the build progress photos. Click Here
The Cherry will get richer with time
A revised larger top than originally used

The Shakers really had an eye for form
Top was made from 4 pieces of book matched Cherry with a unique Bold contrast down the center
Hand cut dovetails with Quilted Maple sides
Classic pegged mortise and tenon joinery



0 comments:

Post a Comment