Welcome!

I am a hobbiest woodworker. I work as an Art Director for a Marketing company in the Phoenix area. I plan to use this website to share my new found love for woodworking as well as to share some of what I do in the design world.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Weekend Project - End Grain Cutting Board

My little sister Samantha
My baby sister (Not so baby anymore) came from Massachusetts this week and I introduced her to the wood shop. With our step mom's birthday just around the corner,  I thought it would be a perfect time to get a little shop time in and make something together! We made an end grain cutting board!

We scrounged around the shop to find two 8/4 choice cut offs of cherry and walnut and got busy! By the end of Day 1 we had everything milled, cut, and both glue ups complete (She was a great glue spreader!).  Day 2 consisted of sanding, more sanding, and finally the final round over and carving the handle with the router. Day 3 was finishing.

I chose to finish the cutting board with General Finishes "Salad bowl finish." It was perfect for the time restraints we had, and quite honestly, I think it provides the best protection possible. Overall I was impressed with the finish. It dried fairly fast and went on fool proof.

It was really a great can-do project and I would recommend anyone to check out Marc's blog over at The Wood Whisperer for more information on end grain cutting boards. Here are a couple photos.



The family loves it and I can't wait to make one for myself. Best of all, it was some great quality time I was able to spend with my sister.

0 comments:

Post a Comment